Friday, December 11, 2015

A Few Words About Star Wars


The original Star Wars movie was released in 1977 when I was three years old. This was long before the days of VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, YouTube, or even pay-per-view, and so rather than leaving theaters in a matter of weeks, films stayed pretty much as long as they made money. Since people couldn't really watch movies at home and because TV went off the air at eleven or so, people also went to the theater a lot more often. Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope showed continuously in some theaters for over a year. Got that? After it was released in May of 1977, you could take a date to see it for high school graduation, catch a late show after fireworks on the Fourth of July, dress up as a Storm Trooper to see it for Halloween, catch it again at Christmas, and then take your prom date to see it in the spring.

In addition to these epic runs in theaters, there was also a time when a successful movie would get re-released in theaters after it had been gone for a while. These days, a movie generally only gets a theatrical re-release if it has been converted to 3D or if it's a significant anniversary or both. So Star Wars came out again in 1979, 1980, 81, and 82. (It came out again in 1997 but that's another story.)
I’m pretty sure my very first movie going experience ever was seeing the 1979 rerelease of Star Wars when I was five years old. 

Even though it was so long ago, I remember a couple of things with great clarity. We saw it in a single-screen theater in a little town called Rupert, Idaho. My brother and I sat together with Dad on one side and Mom on the other. Of course, all Star Wars movies start the same way: yellow words explaining the set-up of the movie crawling from the bottom of the screen to the top and then disappearing into space. My mom whispered the words to me because, you know, I was four. After the words disappeared, there was just a moment of silence and a field of stars.

Then came the moment that I (and most other nerds) remember perfectly: blazing across that field of stars comes a small, white ship, its thrusters glaring against the darkness of space. In the next second, a giant, triangular ship a thousand times bigger than the first one plows across the screen, shooting streaks of red lasers at the tiny, obviously outmatched first ship.

I was a kid and had no idea what a "rebel alliance" or a "galactic empire" were, but I didn't care. For the next two hours, I was transfixed - by Darth Vader and his obsidian-black samurai helmet, by Greedo and the other sketchy characters in the Cantina, by the weird asymmetry of the Millennium Falcon, and by the light sabers. Swords made out of lasers? Even at four, I knew that was a hot cup of steaming awesome. Seeing that movie was a big moment in my life, and it still resonates with me all these years later. 


Next week, I’ll take my family to see Star Wars episode VII: The Force Awakens, and unrealistically or not, my hopes are high. I am excited about the possibility of wonder and the potential return of the fun that was so absent in the prequel trilogy. I look forward to taking my kids and sitting next to them in the theater like my parents did over three decades ago. For a lot of people, Star Wars is an inter-generational thing we can enjoy and talk about and argue over. I hope the Force is with J.J. Abrams and his team and that this film almost 40 years in the making can somehow live up to the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment